For the 12" x 12" Friendship Star Quilt Block
- Draw a diagonal line, from one corner to the opposite corner, on the reverse side of all light neutral squares.
- Use the quick pieced half-square triangle method to sew a light square to each blue print square of the same size. When complete, each of the four half-square triangle units should measure 4-1/2” x 4-1/2” for a 12" (finished size) quilt block. Set aside.
- Make four more half square triangle units by pairing the remaining 4-7/8" x 4-7/8" light squares with the multicolored squares (for the block's corner triangles) of the same size.
- Arrange the half square triangle units and the 4-1/2” x 4-1/2” blue print square into three rows. Units with the blue print form the stars, and the multicolor print triangle units are used in block corners. Check to make sure the angles of all patches match the diagram.
- Sew the units in each row together. Press seam allowances in the top and bottom rows towards the outer units. Press seam allowances in the center row towards the solid square (see: Pressing Basics).
- Sew rows together, carefully matching patch edges and seam intersections.
- Press. The quilt block should measure 12-1/2” x 12-1/2”.
For the 6" x 6" Friendship Star Quilt Block
- Use the same method to create half square triangle units, pairing each light square with a darker square. When complete, each half square triangle unit should measure 2-1/2" x 2-1/2"
- Assemble as instructed for the larger quilt block. Press. The smaller block should measure 6-1/2" x 6-1/2".