Free Quilt Patterns for Your Quilting Projects
By Janet Wickell, About.com Guide
The pattern links on this page represent a small sample of the hundreds quilt patterns found on the at Quilting website. Try the first section to find indexes of patterns grouped by type.
- Quilt Patterns Archives
- Easy Quilt Patterns
- Baby Quilt Patterns
- Rag Quilt Patterns
- Pinwheel Quilt and Quilt Block Patterns
- Applique Quilt Patterns
- Sampler Quilt Patterns
- Quick Quilting and Sewing Projects
- Paper Pieced Quilt Patterns
- Mystery Quilt Patterns
- Star Quilt Patterns
- Sailboat Patterns
- Basket Quilts
- Large Quilt Blocks
- Designs from Nature
- Jars and Lantern Quilt Patterns
- Christmas Quilt Patterns and Projects
Quilt Patterns Archives
Each of the links in this section takes you to an index of free quilt patterns that are grouped into documents for specific types of quilt. Many patterns include directions for multiple quilt and block sizes.
- Miniature Quilt Patterns
- Paper Pieced Quilts
- Basket Quilt Block Patterns
- Basket Quilt Patterns
- Wallhanging Patterns
Easy Quilt Patterns
Your first quilt should be a project that you'll finish with ease -- something that will make you say "bring on the next quilt." All of these quilt patterns are a good choice for beginning quilters, but I write all patterns with detailed instructions, so be sure to browse the Web site for more -- you might be surprised how many quilt patterns look difficult, but are actually quite easy.
- Bricks & Cobblestones Quilt Blocks
- Boats at Sea Quilt Pattern
- Easy Endless Stairs Pattern
- Easy Framed Nine Patch Quilt
- Roman Square Quilt Blocks
- Twenty-Five Patch Quilt Block Pattern
- Practical Orchard Quilt Block
- Album Churn Dash Quilt Block
- Framed Four Patch Quilt Blocks
- Mock Basketweave Quilt
- Simplified Maryland Beauty
- Shoo Fly Quilt Blocks
- Aurora Borealis Quilt Pattern
- More Easy Patterns to Get You Started
Baby Quilt Patterns
Baby quilt patterns are always popular destinations on the Quilting Web site. You'll find a wide variety of quilt sizes here, some are suitable for crib quilts and others are a bit larger so that toddlers and young children can grow into the quilts.
- Easy Contemporary Baby Quilt Pattern
- Floating Nine Patch Baby Quilt Pattern
- Puff Quilts for Baby (Biscuit quilts)
- Dawn's Light Baby Quilt Pattern
- Broken Dishes Baby Quilt Pattern
- Taking Flight Baby Quilt
- Jigsaw Puzzle Baby Quilt
- Boats Baby Quilt Pattern
- Framed Nine-Patch Baby Quilt
- Monkey Wrench Baby Quilt Pattern
- Stars Through the Windows Baby Quilt
- Vintage Orchards Baby Quilt
- Propellers Baby Quilt
- Pretty in Pastels Baby Quilt
- Framed Nine-Patch Toddler Quilt
- In the Pinks Baby Quilt
Rag Quilt Patterns
Here are some direct links to rag quilt patterns, including Cathedral Windows, Four Patch and more.
- Indian Hatchet Rag Quilt (a design with triangles)
- Hearts 'n Rags Quilt
- Cathedral Windows Rag Quilt (sometimes called 'circles rag quilt'
- Easy Four-Patch Rag Quilt
Pinwheel Quilt and Quilt Block Patterns
I've had fun with with quilt block patterns lately, and until I started writing batches of instructions I didn't realize how many quilt block variations can be classified as pinwheels. All of these pretty pinwheels are easy to assemble.
- Use Fabric to Inspire Pinwheel Quilt Blocks
- Grandma's Favorite Quilt Block
- Pinwheel in a Square
- Hither and Yon Quilt Block Pattern
- Mosaic Pinwheels Quilt Block
- Sarah's Choice
- Double Pinwheel Pattern
- Framed Pinwheel Block
- Rosebud Quilt Block Pattern
- Single Pinwheels Quilt Block Pattern
- Can't Stop Spinnin' Pinwheel Variation
Applique Quilt Patterns
Create these quilts using any applique technique that suits you, from traditional needleturn applique to quick methods that use fusible web. Hand applique or applique by machine... it's your choice.
- Friendly Little Chick Quilt
- Hearts Bouquet Quilt Pattern
- Sunbonnet Sue and Overalls Sam Quilt
- Easy Fusible Web Medallion Quilt
- Holiday Harvest Applique Quilt Pattern
Sampler Quilt Patterns
You'll find three 'project' sampler quilts on the About.com Quilting site. The first two samplers were released one block at a time, with layouts revealed after all blocks were published (that's Nancy's Anniversary Sampler quilt in the illustration). For the most recent quilt, the Backwards Medallion Sampler, I published the layout first.
- Backwards Medallion Sampler Quilt
- Scrap Happy Sampler Quilt
- Annniversary Sampler Quilt
- Sampler Quilt Layout with Mitered Frames
- Sampler Quilt Layout with Patchwork Sashing
Quick Quilting and Sewing Projects
These quick quilt projects are excellent choices when you need a gift, or anytime you want to get creative without devoting loads of time to actually finishing something.
- Learn to Cut a Fabric or Paper Snowflake
- Easy Pillowcase Pattern with French Seams
- Eye Pillow Pattern
- Easy Throw Pillow Cover
Paper Pieced Quilt Patterns
Paper piecing is the term you'll hear most when this method is mentioned, but a more accurate description is foundation piecing, since the templates used to sew projects are not always made from paper.
- Learn Paper Piecing Basics
- Through the Windows Paper Pieced Quilt Pattern
- Pitchers for Tildy's Cabin, Paper Piecing & Applique
- Miniature Oddfellows Star Quilt Pattern
- Miniature Whirlwinds Scrap Quilt
- Christmas Log Cabin Quilt
- Pineapple Quilt Pattern
- Learn How to String Quilt
Mystery Quilt Patterns
We've made mystery quilts on the last several New Years days, and I've written a few other mystery quilt patterns in-between those holidays. The patterns are all still online, of course, and written as mysteries (although you can indeed peek ahead to see the finished versions).
- 2013 Super Bowl Mystery Quilt Pattern
- 2013 New Year's Day Mystery Quilt Pattern
- 2012 New Year's Day Mystery Quilt Pattern
- 2011 New Year's Day Mystery Quilt Pattern
- 2008 Mystery Quilt Pattern
- 2010 Mystery Quilt Pattern
- 2009 Mystery Quilt Pattern
- Mystery Wallhanging Pattern
Star Quilt Patterns
I probably get more requests for star quilt patterns than for any other type of quilt. It's a good thing there are so many different kinds of star quilts -- I could write patterns for them daily for the next year and still not cover them all. These star quilt and star quilt block patterns will get you off to a good start.
- Star Crossed Nine Patch Quilt
- Harvest Stars Quilt
- Under the Stars Quilt
- Sawtooth Star w/Sixteen-Patch Center
- Ohio Star Quilt Block Variation
- Aunt Addie's Album Quilt
- Stretching to the Stars Quilt
- Scrappy Framed Star Quilt Block
- Ohio Star Quilt Block
- A Joyous Celebration Star Quilt Pattern
- Scrappy Floating Stars Pattern
- Friendship Stars Quilt Block
- Evening Stars with Nine Patch Centers
- Dolly Madison Star Quilt Block
- Little Friendship Stars Quilt
- Rolling Stars Quilt Block Pattern
- Album Star Quilt Block and Quilt Pattern
Sailboat quilts, sometimes called Boats at Sea, do have design similarities, but their final appearances are varied. The quilts are popular for babies and toddlers, but every bit as suitable for an adult who likes water sports of any kind.
- Boats at Sea Quilt Pattern with Sashing & Cornerstones
- Sailboats Baby Quilt
- Sailboats Quilt Block Pattern
- Boats at Sea Quilt Block Pattern - 8" & 12"
- Another Sailboats Design Variation
Sew a batch of baskets to represent flowers and foliage from any season of the year, or don't worry about realism at all -- just choose fabrics you love.
Large Quilt Blocks
Large quilt blocks can be used in many ways. Sew one at the center of a medallion quilt. Use a big quilt block to make a small wallhanging. Throw one over the back of a chair or on a small table. Sew large quilt blocks together to make a bed quilt.
- Oddfellows Chain Quilt Block Pattern
- All Hallows Quilt Block (24" square)
- Summer Winds Quilt Block (24" square)
- Goose in the Pond (22-1/2" square)
- Handy Andy (20" square)
- Weeping Willow (30" square)
- Bear's Paw Quilt Block (35" square)
- Summertime Baskets (20" square)
- Mosaic Pinwheel Quilt Block (24" square)
- Double Nine-Patch Quilt Block (18" square)
- Bear's Paw Quilt Block (35" & 14")
Designs from Nature
Some floral and leaf pattern quilt blocks are intricate, but the majority are easier to assemble than you might guess at first glance.
- Autumn Leaves Quilt Pattern
- Broken Branch Quilt Block Pattern
- Tea Leaf Quilt Block
- Patchwork Tulips Quilt Block
- Maple Leaf Quilt Block
Jars and Lantern Quilt Patterns
Jar quilt patterns (often called 'bug' jars) are popular with quilters. The patterns are easy to assemble, and you can create lots of variety by filling the jars with anything you like -- not just bugs. Lantern patterns are similar. They're traditionally known as Chinese Lanterns, and often created with oriental prints. Feel free to change lantern themes in any way you like.
- Jar Duo Pattern, One Shorter than the Other
- Square Jar Block, 12" x 12"
- Rectangular Jars, 8" x 12"
- Chinese Lantern Pattern, 12" x 12"
- Oriental Lanterns Pattern, 8" x 12"
Christmas Quilt Patterns and Projects
The quilts in this category are all good choices for Christmas patterns. You can turn nearly any quilt into a Christmas quilt (or make it suit another holiday) by choosing themed fabrics, so do keep that in mind as you browse the hundreds of other patterns on the quilting site.
- Folded Fabric Star Ornaments
- Christmas Table Runner Pattern
- Another Christmas Table Runner Pattern
- Christmas Ribbons Quilt with Matching Tablerunner & Placemats