Make Corner Four-Patch Units
See the drawings on page 4.
- Sew together two unlike units made in the final steps on page 4, placing brown squares diagonally from each other. Press seam allowance either direction.
- Repeat to make a total of eighty four-patch units for block corners.
- Sew a 4-1/2" x 42" gold strip lengthwise to each side of a 2-1/2" x 42" "capsule" print strip. Press seam allowances towards the gold.
- Square up one end of the strip set and cut sixteen 2-1/2" segments from it.
- Make another identical, but shorter, strip set using the 4-1/2" x 11" gold strips and 2-1/2" x 11" "capsule" print strip. Cut four 2-1/2" segments from the strip set.
- Arrange components for one block into three rows as shown on page 4 (you'll need the 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" gold rectangles cut earlier). Sew segments in the top and bottom rows together. Press seam allowances towards the center strip.
- Sew rows together and press. The quilt block should measure 10-1/2" x 10-1/2". Make a total of 20 Five-Patch Chain blocks.