Finish Assembling the Economy Quilt Blocks
Fabric Cutting Instructions
- Cut (4) 2-1/2" wide strips of green/gold fabric from selvage to selvage. Cut (1) more strip that's 2-1/2" wide and 21" long. Square up one end of each strip and cut a total of (72) 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" squares.
- Cut (2) 4-1/2" wide strips of deep red fabric from selvage to selvage. Square up one end of each strip set and cut a total of (18) 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" squares.
Assemble the Economy Quilt Blocks
- Arrange four flying geese units, four 2-1/2" green gold squares and one 4-1/2" red square into three rows as shown.
- Sew the components of each row together. Press seam allowances towards plain squares.
- Sew the rows together, matching patch edges and butting seams for a good match.
- Press. The Economy quilt block should measure 8-1/2" x 8-1/2".
- Make a total of (18) Economy quilt blocks
Alternative Block LayoutIt's easy to give the Economy block an entirely different appearance. Take a look at the illustration on page 5 -- the flying geese units have been rotated 180-degrees, placing the gold triangles against the red center to create a star.
If you think you might prefer that layout, make the Snowball blocks before sewing your Economy units together. Arrange the Snowballs and try both Economy layouts next to a few Snowballs to determine which look you like best.