Easy Quilt PatternSnowballing Economy is an easy quilt that's made from a combination of two traditional patchwork quilt blocks: Snowball and Economy. Quilt blocks are alternated in the layout to create diagonal movement.
The patchwork quilt top is surrounded by two borders, and the innermost border is slightly wider than its neighbor.
Both patchwork quilt blocks are easy to make with quick-piecing techniques. If you choose to assemble the blocks in a different way, be sure to make adjustments to patch sizes and fabric requirements.
Finished block size: 8-inches square
Finished quilt size: 54" x 70"
Snowball quilt blocks have a medium-scale floral/vine print at their centers, and dark green tips at each corner.
Economy quilt blocks have a red center, with a deeper red pointing outward along each side (thanks to flying geese units). Gold tips are used for the geese and gold/green squares complete the corners. Your Economy quilt blocks will look somewhat different if you select fabrics with more contrast.
Quilting Fabrics and Other MaterialsSnowball:
- Medium to large print for centers, 1-1/2 yards
- Dark green corners, 1/4 yard
- Red centers, 5/8 yard
- Deep red for center of flying geese (and outer border), 1-5/8 yards
- Gold for flying geese edges, 5/8 yard
- Green/gold for block corners, 3/8 yard
Borders from Crosswise Grain Strips: (additional yardage is required if cut along the lengthwise grain)
- Light golden yellow for inner, 1-1/2 yards
- Deep red for outer (see flying geese deep red)
- About 275 running inches of doublefold binding (Binding Instructions)
- Alternative: Moda sells pre-made binding that's available at many quilt shops
- 4-5/8 yards or about 64" x 80" single panel (Backing Instructions)
- About 64" x 80"