Patriotic Themed Quilt PatternHere's an easy quilt assembled with large quarter-square triangle units. The quilt blocks are arranged in horizontal rows, each row with five blocks, each surrounded by sashing and cornerstones. Notice that the color placement is flip-flopped from block to block and row to row.
This layout works with any theme, so feel free to substitute fabrics of your choice. You might even go entirely scrappy with it, using a variety of fabrics to make your blocks.
Waving the Flag is a perfect size to take along to summertime picnics and July 4th events, and might be just right to leave in the car to keep someone warm and cozy during a wintertime trip.
Finished Quilt Blocks: 9" square
Finished Quilt Size: 66-1/2" square
MaterialsFabrics must be at least 42" wide. If narrower you will require additional yardage.
- Navy blue print for blocks and sashing cornerstones: 1-1/3 yards
- Contrasting flag print for blocks: 1-1/3 yards
- Red for sashing and inner border: 1-1/3 yard
- Outer border: 7/8 yard for borders pieced from crosswise grain strips; 2 yard for single-piece, lengthwise grain borders (you will have leftovers)
This quilt's border repeats the flag print used in blocks; I'm listing it separately to help you make changes
- Backing: 4-1/4 yard, or about 77" square if using wide yardage
- Batting: about 77" square; consider using flannel, since it remains intact during the wash -- do some easy machine quilting to hold the layers together and you'll be set.
- Binding: About 290 running inches of doublefold binding for mitered binding. See: