Make the Ocean Waves Quilt Blocks
To begin with, cut only enough fabric for a sample block (for this pattern and any other you make, mine or a pattern by someone else).
Let's take it one (4-part) Ocean Waves block at a time.
- Cut four 5-7/8" x 5-7/8" squares of medium light fabric for corners of individual blocks. Cut each square in half once diagonally. You'll find it easier to align the triangles later if you trim their tips now. (You'll need 80 squares for the entire quilt; cut from (12) 5-7/8" wide strips cut from selvage to selvage.)
- Cut (20) 3-3/8" x 3-3/8" dark squares and (20) light squares of the same size. Pair a dark square and a light square. Use the easy sandwich method to turn the pair into two half square triangle units (HSTs). When complete, each of the 40 units should measure 3" x 3".
- Cut (4) 3-3/8" x 3-3/8" dark squares and (4) light squares of the same size. Cut each square in half once diagonally. It isn't necessary to trim the tips of these triangles.
- Arrange (10) HST units, two dark triangles and two light triangles into four rows as illustrated, upper left. Individual dark triangles are on the left ends of the first and second rows; individual light triangles are on the right ends of third and fourth rows.
- Sew the components of each row together. Press the rows. Clip the "dog ears" where individual triangles were joined to HST units.
- Join the rows. Trim new dog ears.
- Center and sew a large triangle (cut by dividing a 5-7/8" x 5-7/8" square) to the angled edge of each partial block as shown, top right. Press seam allowances towards the larger triangles. the block should measure 10-1/2" x 10-1/2" square. If it does not, square it up with one of my easy methods.
- Repeat, making three more of these "sub" blocks.
- Arrange the four sub blocks into two rows as shown, lower left. Sew small blocks in each row together, matching seam intersections carefully. Press. Join the rows. Press. The Ocean Waves quilt block should measure 20-1/2" x 20-1/2". If it does not, use my methods or a method of your own to square it up.
- Make 19 more Ocean Waves quilt blocks (from 76 smaller sub blocks).
Assemble the Ocean Waves Quilt
- Arrange the large quilt blocks in five rows, each row containing four blocks. Sew the blocks in each row together, matching seam intersections.
- Join the rows, again matching seam intersections. Press the quilt carefully, checking to make sure it is not skewed. Add a border if desired (Quilt Border Instructions).
- Mark for quilting if necessary. Sandwich with batting and backing and quilt. Bind the quilt with doublefold binding that finishes at 1/4" wide. (Quilt Binding Instructions)