Cut Patches for the Mystery QuiltBlack or Very Dark:
- Cut (96) 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" rectangles; rectangles can be cut from six strips of fabric cut from selvage to selvage, each 4-1/2" wide. Square up one end of each strip and cut 2-1/2" wide segments from it (likely 16 per strip).
Patch Size What-ifs for a Scrap Quilt
- Remember that there are 48 quilt blocks
- Some quilt blocks (about half) are made from a dark warm and a light warm; others are made from a dark cool and a light cool (both block types contain the dark fabric)
- For either type of block, you should have a dark scrap that measures at least 6-1/2" x 9-1/2" (which provides a bit of squaring-up room)
- And a light scrap that measures at least 5-1/2" x 5-1/2"
- However, if you have smaller scraps, and want to be very scrappy, it's possible to use two darks in the same block if their values are similar; each block's light area should probably be cut from the same fabric
Orderly Sewers: Go to Page 3 and follow other pages marked ORDERLY.
Scrappy Sewers: Go to Page 4 and follow other pages marked SCRAPPY.