Mystery Quilt PatternFalling Leaves is a medallion quilt pattern written as a mystery quilt, and because the pattern is complete now, you can skip ahead to see all of the instructions or take it one page at a time to keep the results a mystery.
Click on any image in the pattern for a close-up view.
The Mystery Medallion quilt is an easy pattern, and you can stitch it in one of two sizes:
- A 45-inches square wallhanging, or
- A miniature quilt that finishes at 22-1/2-inches square
Let's look at the center medallion first -- let it be your first guide to color and value, and think about other fabrics that you might combine with the fabrics you use in the center.
The finished quilt has just two more fabric than you see here, both mottled greens, similar in color and color value but one with a slightly larger print than the other.
Start by playing around with five fabrics, sorting them into groups you think will work well together and considering how they will contrast. Choose:
- a dark neutral (shown as brown)
- two lights (examples will be green)
- a medium-dark warm (shown as deep rust)
- a light to medium warm background (shown as lighter fabric with shades of rust).
If you have small yardages, bring in more than five, because the pattern is suitable for a scrap quilt.
Quilting Fabrics & Other MaterialsWallhanging
- Dark Neutral (brown): 1-1/2 yard
- Light Warm Background (light shades of rust): 1-1/4 yard
- Dark Warm (rust): 1 yard
- Light Cool (green): 3/8 yard
- Medium Cool (green): 3/4 yard
- Dark Neutral (brown): 7/8 yard
- Warm Background (light shades of rust): 3/4 yard
- Dark Warm (rust): 5/8 yard
- Light Cool (green): 1/4 yard
- Medium Cool (green): 1/2 yard
Move on to page 2 for a look at the first border that surrounds the medallion block.