Make Nine-Patch CentersBlock Close-up
- Sew a 1-1/4" wide green strip lengthwise to each side of a 1-1/4" wide brown-rose strip. Press seam allowances towards the green strips.
- Square up one end of the strip set and cut as many 1-1/4" segments from it as possible (33 avg.). Make three more identical strip sets; cut a total of 128 segments.
- Sew a 1-1/4" green strip between two brown-rose strips. Press seam allowances towards the green strip. Square up one end and cut 1-1/4" segments from it. Make an identical strip set. Cut a total of (64) 1-1/4" segments.
- Sew the remaining strips together to make more strip sets identical to the step 3 sets; cut (64) 2-3/4" segments.
- Sew a step 3 segment between two step 2 segments. Repeat to make sixty-four small nine-patch units.
- Sew a step 4 segment between two small nine-patch units. Repeat.
- Sew a step 4 segment on opposite sides of a 2-3/4" green square. Sew the row between the rows created in step 6.
- Repeat to make sixteen large nine-patch blocks.
Make Star Tips
- Use the sandwich method to combine a 3-1/8" black square with a 3-1/8" brown-rose square to create two half-square triangle units. When complete, each unit should measure 2-3/4" square.
- Repeat to make 128 identical half-square triangle units.
Assemble the Missouri Puzzle Block
- Referring to the illustration, create three rows:
Rows 1 and 3: three brown-rose squares, two half-square triangle units
Row 2: center nine-patch unit flanked by vertical sections; each vertical section has two half-square triangle units and one brown-rose square.
- Sew rows together to create the block. Make a total of sixteen blocks. Each block should measure 11-3/4" square.