Illinois Road Quilt BlocksEach Illinois Road quilt block is made with five patchwork pinwheel-like units and four squares. The patchwork units can all be identical, or made with a scrappy assortment of fabrics.
I hope the instructions below aren't confusing to beginners, but this quilt is a good opportunity to explain yardage calculations. You'll find requirements for a scrappy quilt, an orderly quilt and enough information to hopefully help you bridge the two if you choose. If info seems confusing at first, read the entire pattern, let it sink in a bit and then read again.
For Scrappy Illinois Road Blocks
For each pinwheel-like unit (5 per block, 65 per quilt), you'll need:
- a bright strip of fabric that measures 1-1/2" x 11"
- A light tone on tone fabric of the same width and length
- You'll also need (4) 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" light squares per quilt block (52 total)
For an Orderly Quilt
There are a few errors in the following instructions -- please do not use the pattern until all are corrected. 2/4/13
For a quilt where all of the patchwork units are alike, cut (28) 2-1/2" wide by selvage width strips of light tone on tone fabric and the same from a dark or warm fabric; also cut (1) 2-1/2" x 20" strip of the light tone one tone and dark
Vary some of the strips to add a little variety.
Cut Light SquaresCut (5) 4-1/2" x selvage width strips and (1) 4-1/2" x 32-1/2" strip; cut (52) 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" squares from strips
Assemble the Pinwheel-Like Segments
- Sew a 2-1/2" wide light strip lengthwise to a 2-1/2" wide dark or bright strip of the same length. Press seam allowance towards the dark strip.
- Square up one end of the strip set and cut as many 4-1/2" segments from it as possible (four minimum).
- Arrange four segments into two rows as illustrated, top center of drawing. Sew segments in each row together.
- Press seam allowances that join row centers in opposite directions and sew the rows together. Press. The unit should measure 4-1/2" x 4-1/2".
- Make five more pinwheel-like units for the block.
- Arrange the pinwheels into three rows as shown, lower left illustration, placing a square between the units in top and bottom rows and a square on either side of the center unit in the middle row. Sew components of each row together. Press seam allowances towards the pinwheel-like units.
- Join the rows. Press. The quilt block should measure 12-1/2" x 12-1/2". If it does not, try one of my problem block fixer-uppers.
- Make a total of 13 Illinois Road quilt blocks.