Assemble the Easy Eye Pillow
- Place the eye pillow front and back right sides together, aligning all edges. Hold together with straight pins if you like.
- Start sewing along the top (straight) edge, about 3" from a curved corner, backstitching at the beginning of the seam.
- Use a 1/2" seam allowance to sew around the pillow. Stop sewing about 2" from your starting point (leaving enough of an opening to turn the pillow). Backstitch and remove from the sewing machine.
- Make 3-4 clips straight into the seam allowance at the lower curve -- the area that will eventually fit over the nose.
- Turn the pillow right-side-out. Insert a blunt object (a capped pen, the handle of a small wooden spoon or other similar tool) into the pillow and push gently into the seams to smooth them. (Turn the pillow wrong-side-out again before fillling if you need to clip into or trim back seams that are too bulky.)
- Use a funnel to insert flax or rice into the opening at the top of the pillow. Add lavender flowers or another soft herb if you like. Don't overfill the pillow. The object is to create enough filler to keep the pillow draped over your eyes, but not so much that the weight is bothersome.
- Turn under the seam allowances of the 2" opening and join them with a hand or machine stitch.
If you are making the pillow for yourself, feel free to add essential oils to the ingredients. If the pillow will be a gift, it's probably best to eliminate herbs and oils, unless you are absolutely sure the recipient is not sensitive to those items.