Eight Hands Around Quilt Block VariationsLet's take a look at the block component that's the same in both variations:
- The same light neutral print surrounds the small center star in each block.
Now let's look at the similarities in the two block variations:
- The large star in the block on the left has green tips; the same green is repeated in the center of the small star (which has deep red tips).
- The large star in the block on the right flip-flops the star fabrics used in the left block (large star tips and the center square of the small star are deep red and the small center star has green tips).
- The backgrounds for the outer stars are of similar color value in both quilt blocks, but differ just a bit to add extra texture and movement (use fabrics that vary more in color value for a completely different look).
- Although backgrounds differ, the four corners of each block are arranged in the same way: a dark purple/background unit in two opposite corners and deep red/background unit in the remaining corners.
Fabrics and Other Materials NeededDeep red: 2 yards
Dark purple: 1/2 yard
Light background (small stars): 7/8 yard
Green (stars and borders): 2-3/4 yards
First Neutral background: 1-1/4 yard
Second neutral background: 1-1/4 yards
Backing: 2-1/2 yards (quilt backing instructions)
Batting: About 78" x 90"
Binding: About 340 running inches of doublefold binding (binding strip instructions)