The quilt blocks are similar to attic windows, but with four mitered frames instead of two. They're filled with floral scraps in the watercolor style. Create more contrast and depth by using frame fabrics with a bit more value differences than mine.
Materials for the Cat QuiltFabrics
- Floral scraps: 5/8 yards of assorted fabrics
- Medium light frames: 5/8 yard
- Dark frames: 5/8 yard
- Cats: 3 very dark prints, approximately 9" x 9" each
- Butterfly: 3 prints, approximately 3" x 3" each
- Backing: 1 yard
- Batting: 36" x 42" thin batting
- Binding: 160" double-fold binding
Cutting ChartWatercolor Windows
Floral Squares: cut 108 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" squares, assorted
Dark Strips: cut six 3" strips across the fabric's crosswise grain
Medium Light Strips: cut six 3" strips across the fabric's crosswise grain
Cats & Butterfly
Cat and butterly applique pieces do not include a seam allowance.
- Cut 1 crouching cat from dark fabric.
- Turn the pattern over and cut a mirror image crouching cat.
- Cut 1 standing cat from dark fabric.
- Cut as many butterflies from template as desired. or cut butterflies from a printed fabric, leaving a seam allowance. Turn under edges and applique to the quilt.
PDF Cat and Butterfly TemplatesStanding Cat & Butterfly