The baby quilt is assembled with four columns made from long panels of quilting fabric. The panels are surround by five narrower columns made from easy strip-pieced fabric segments.
Finished Quilt Size: 59" x 63"
FabricsChoose an assortment of black fabrics for the wide columns and the outer border. I used a scrappy assortment of reds for the narrow columns and a mostly white (with black) print for the narrow inner border. Your fabrics may differ completely.
Black Prints for Wider Columns:
- (6) 6-1/2" x 16-1/2" panels
- (8) 6-1/2" x 12-1/2" panels
Use the same fabric more than once or go very scrappy with 14 different prints.
Red Print Fabrics for Strip Pieced Segments in Narrow Columns:
- Cut a total of (20) 3-1/2" x 19" strips from at least six different red prints -- add more variety if you like.
- Inner: 1/4 yard white/black print
- Outer: 1-1/4 yard black/white print
Optional, for Lengthwise Grain Borders:
- Inner: 1-1/2 yard
- Outer: 1-3/4 yard (You'll have lots of leftover yardage if you use lengthwise grain borders.)
Backing: 3-3/4 yards (How to Make Quilt Backing)
Binding: About 265 running inches doublefold binding Make Continuous Binding Strips
Batting: About 67" x 71" (Learn a bit about cotton quilt batting