- Sew a medium-light strip lengthwise to a warm-dark strip. Press the seam allowance towards the darker strip. Square up one end of the strip set and cut sixteen 2-1/2" segments from it.
- Sew a 4-1/2" dark square to each side of a segment from Step 1. Press seam allowances towards the large squares. Make a total of eight of these units.
- Sew a Step 1 segment to opposite sides of each 2-1/2" dark center square, placing the light portion of the unit against the square. Press seam allowances towards the center square. Make a total of four of these new units.
Assemble the Inner Quilt Blocks
- Arrange the block into three rows as shown above, placing the light squares in pieced units against the dark center squares.
- Sew the rows together, matching seams carefully. Press the seam allowances away from the center.
- Repeat, making a total of four blocks.