Make Quilt Blocks for the Red Light/Green Light Quilt
Cutting InstructionsDo not cut all strips just yet -- begin by cutting enough for sample strip sets and a sample block. I freely admit that, just like printed quilt books, I sometimes make errors, and quilters make cutting boo-boos. Test before you cut all of your fabric.
There are numerous ways to strip piece this quilt block. If you are an experienced quilter, and accustomed to calculating your own strip lengths and widths, devise other strip sets that suit you. I chose this configuration because the sets use fewer strips, which is often easier for beginning quilters to deal with.
For Quilt Blocks, cut:
Green: cut (16) 2-1/2" wide strips of fabric from selvage to selvage; cut a total of (14) 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" rectangles from the strips
Yellow-Gold: cut (9) 2-1/2" wide strips of fabric from selvage to selvage
Black: cut (9) 2-1/2" wide strips of fabric from selvage to selvage
Gray: cut (9) 2-1/2" wide strips of fabric from selvage to selvage
Red: cut (11) 2-1/2" wide strips of fabric from selvage to selvage; from two of the strips, cut as many 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" squares as possible (likely 32) cut three more squares from remaining yardage; reserve remaining 9 strips
Refer to the illustration as you work.
- Gather a yellow-gold strip and a black strip. Sew the strips together lengthwise as illustrated. Carefully press seam allowance towards the black strip.
- Square up one end of the strip set; cut as many 2-1/2" segments from it as possible, likely 16.
- Combine remaining black and yellow-gold strips in the same way and cut a total of 140 segments. Set aside.
- Combine a red strip and a gray strip to make a strip set, just as you did for the yellow-gold and black strips. Press seam allowances towards the red strip. Square up one end of the strip and cut 2-1/2" segments from it. Make additional red/gray strip sets and cut 140 segments.
- Refer to the illustration, bottom left to lay out one quilt block. Gather one 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" red square and four each of the remaining components: yellow/black segment, gray/red segment and green rectangles.
- Arrange components into three rows as shown. Red squares of red/gray segments should be in block corners; yellow squares of yellow/black segments should be along outer edges of the block.
- Sew the red/gray segments to the green rectangles; press seam allowances towards the red/gray segments.
- Sew components of each row together. Press seam allowances towards a segment that contains a red square.
- Sew the rows together, butting seams for a perfect match.
- Press the quilt block; it should measure 10-1/2" x 10-1/2". If it does not, be sure to read the tutorial, Quick Fixes for Quilt Blocks.
- Make 35 identical quilt blocks.