This pretty Country Nine-Patch quilt block pattern was used in a swap on our quilting forum.
The block's nine patch center is placed on point by surrounding it with corner triangles. Our hostess envisioned a controlled scrappy look, using country fabrics -- think muted colors with muslin or cream solid backgrounds, but choose any theme you like to make the blocks.
A few tips to help you choose 'country' fabrics and colors:
- Most Thimbleberries fabrics, or similar country prints, would work well for the darker nine-patch units and the outer corners.
- For green, try Hunter green instead of spring green.
- For red, try barn red instead of tomato red.
- Use golds instead of yellows.
- Try Wedgwood blue instead of bright blues.
Finished Block Size: 8-1/2" square
Nine-Patch PairsYou'll make pairs of nine-patch blocks, and each block in a pair will contain the same fabrics, but their nine-patch centers will be configured differently.
Fabric Requirements for Each Pair of Quilt Blocks
- Dark fabric: (3) 2-1/2" x 7-3/4" strips
- Muslin: (3) 2-1/2" x 7-3/4" strips
- Medium fabric: (4) 5-1/8" squares