Fold the 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" Fabric SquaresSet aside (2) of the medium squares.
- Fold all remaining squares in half time, wrong sides together to create a rectangle. Press. (upper left photo)
- Beginning at the folded edge, bring half of the rectangle down to align exactly with the raw edges, creating a 45-degree angle along that side of the fabric. Repeat on the opposite side. Press. (upper right photo)
Even though you;ve pressed the fabric, their angled edges will pop back up. Don't worry, because the fold has been established, making it easier to work with the unit once it's on the ball.
- Repeat with all squares except the (2) medium squares you set aside earlier.
- Center one of the unpressed medium squares right side up on one side of a 3" ball. Pin to the ball at all four corners. Try not to stretch the edges of the square. (bottom left photo)
- Pin the remaining unfolded medium square to the opposite side of the ball. The goal here is to space the squares evenly. Look at their corners. Are they adjacent to each other, with about the same space between them? (bottom right photo)
The two squares serve a couple of purposes. They cover the Styrofoam at the starting point, camouflaging slight gaps between the first pieces pinned to the ball. They also help you position the first layer of star tips.