We'll use the easy method to make Christmas ornaments by covering Styrofoam balls with fabric to create two folded fabric stars, one on each side of the ball. Alter fabrics to make ornaments for any holiday or event.
The homemade Christmas ornaments require no sewing whatsoever, but you will need a few supplies.
- Styrofoam balls (I used 3" balls)
- Lots of plain, metal-headed dressmaker's straight pins
- Three fabrics, a light a medium and a dark (tone-on-tones and small scale patterns work best):
- Cut (16) 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" squares of light fabric
- Cut (16) 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" squares of dark fabric
- Cut (10) 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" squares of medium fabric.
- About 10" of 1/2" to 3/4" wide ribbon or folded fabric to cover the raw edges where front and back stars meet
- Additional ribbon(s) or fabric(s) to make a bow for the top of the ornament (optional)
- Floral pins (shaped like a U) are handy, but not required
- Glue is helpful, but not required (Elmer's, fabric glue, Styrofoam glue, craft dots).