Sew the Star Quilt Block
- Make four Flying Geese units by sewing a 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" dark blue square to each end of a 3-1/2" x 6-1/2" rectangle as described in my easy quick pieced Geese method. Be sure that seams are sewn so that dark blue tips have angles as shown.
- To make the 16-patch center, sew the 2" x 2" dotted squares and striped squares into four rows as shown. Press seam allowances towards the darker squares.
- Sew the rows together. Press.
- Arrange components into three rows as shown. Sew components in each row together.
- Press seam allowances away from the dark blue star tips.
- Sew the rows together and press. The quilt block should measure 12-1/2" x 12-1/2".
Optional Strip Pieced Center Unit
- Sew (four) 2" x 9" strips together lengthwise, beginning with a light dotted strip, followed by the darker striped strip. Repeat the scheme to add two more strips. (light - dark - light - dark).
- Press seam allowances towards the darker strips.
- Square up one end of the strip set and then cut four 2" segments from it.
- Arrange segments into four rows, flipping two rows around as shown so that contrasting colors are opposite each other. Sew rows together and press.
- Finish assembling quilt block as directed above.