Sew the House Quilt Block's PatchworkRefer to the illustration to assemble the house quilt block.
Construct the house block row by row, beginning at the top.
- Sew a green chimney to a 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" sky rectangle along the 2-1/2" edge. Repeat to assemble four chimney/sky units. Press seam allowances towards chimneys.
- Sew a 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" sky between two chimneys along long edges. Press seam allowances towards the sky. Repeat to make another unit.
- Assemble the top row by sewing 3-1/2" sky squares to the ends of the chimney/sky strip. Press seam allowances towards the squares. Repeat to make another row 1 for the second block.
The second row represents the roof, house peak and sky and is made up of one square and three triangle squares.
- Arrange a white/light brown triangle square, light brown/dark brown triangle square, 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" dark brown square, and dark brown/white triangle square as shown.
- Sew components together. Press two seam allowances towards the square; press others towards darker units.
- Repeat to make a row 2 for the second block.
The house body is made up of light brown bars, the white door, and the window.
- Sew a light brown 2-1/2" x 5-1/2" bar to each long side of the white door. Press seam allowances away from the door.
- Sew a light brown 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" bar to each long side of the window. Press seam allowances away from the window.
- Sew a 3" x 6-1/2" light brown bar to the bottom of the step 2 unit. Press seam allowance towards the brown rectangle.
- Sew step 3 unit to the right side of the step 1 door unit. Press seam allowance towards the door unit.
- Repeat to make an identical row for the second block.
Sew Rows Together
- Sew the three pieced rows together. Press seam allowances either direction.
- Sew the long bar to the bottom of the block.
- Repeat to assemble second block.
The block should measure 12-1/2" square.