Friendship Star Quilt Block AssemblyRefer to the illustration above as you make the Friendship Star quilt block. Sew with a 1/4-inch seam allowance.
Make Half Square Triangle Units
- Pair a 4-7/8" x 4-7/8" black square with a bright square of the same size (2-7/8" squares for the 6-inch block). Use my easy sandwich method to sew the pairs together, creating two black/bright half-square triangle units.
- Repeat with the remaining pair of the same size to make a total of four identical triangle square units.
Completed triangle square units for the 12-inch block should measure 4-1/2" x 4-1/2". Competed triangle square units for the 6-inch block should measure 2-1/2" x 2-1/2".
Assemble Three Rows
- Arrange your triangle square units, bright square and plain black squares into three rows as shown above. Sew the components of each row together and press the seam allowances towards the plain squares.
- Sew the rows together, using the loft created by pressed seams to butt seam intersections into each other for a snug fit.
- The larger block should measure 12-1/2" x 12-1/2". The smaller block should measure 6-1/2" x 6-1/2". If your block is smaller than it should be, or skewed along one side, press and recheck. If it still isn't quite right, use my easy squaring-up method before sewing it to other blocks.