Quilt Size: 29" x 35"
Baby Quilt Pattern YardageUse any prints and colors - mine were chosen to make the quilt pattern easy to describe.
Dark Rose: 1/3 yard
Light Rose: 1/3 yard
Blue: 1/3 yard
Yellow: 1/4 yard
Allow extra yardage for additional blocks.
Baby Quilt Pattern CuttingUse dark rose and light rose fabrics to assemble eighty dark rose/light rose triangle squares. Do not cut the fabric into 2-7/8" squares unless you intend to use the sandwich method to sew units. The grid method is another option; make grids from 2-7/8" wide strips of fabric.
Dark Rose: Cut forty 2-7/8" x 2-7/8" squares to sew triangle square units using the sandwich method
Light Rose: Cut forty 2-7/8" x 2-7/8" squares to sew triangle square units using the sandwich method
Blue: Cut six 1-1/2" wide strips from selvage to selvage. Square up one end of each strip and cut a total of forty-nine 1-1/2" x 4-1/2" blue bars.
Yellow: Cut two 1-1/2" wide strips from selvage to selvage. Square up one end of each strip and cut a total of thirty 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" yellow squares.
Make the Pinwheel Baby Quilt
- Make eighty dark rose/light rose triangle squares. Each completed triangle square should measure 2-1/2" x 2-1/2".
- Using the instructions on page 2, create forty pinwheel blocks from the eighty triangle squares.
- Arrange the pinwheels into five rows, each row with four pinwheel blocks.
- Sew blue sashing strips vertically between blocks in each row. Sew to the ends of each row. Press seam allowances towards the sashing.
- Assemble six horizontal sashing units as shown, alternating yellow squares with blue bars. Press seam allowances towards blue bars.
- Sew pieced horizontal sashing to the rows, matching seam intersections carefully. Press seam allowances towards the sashing.