Make the Pinwheel Quilt Block CenterRefer to the drawing above as you assemble the pinwheel quilt pattern. Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance.
The center of the Pinwheel quilt block is made from four half-square triangle units, called triangle squares for short.
- Gather two dark rose squares. Pair each square with a light rose square of the same size. Use my easy sandwich method to make four triangle squares from the dark rose/light rose pairs.
Completed units for the 12-inch block should measure 4-1/2" x 4-1/2". Completed units for the 6-inch block should measure 2-1/2" x 2-1/2".
- Create two rows from the four triangle squares as shown above. Sew the rows together. Press seam allowances either direction.
Assemble Pieced Frames
- Sew a yellow square to each end of two blue sashing bars. Press seam allowances towards the blue bars.
Assemble the Framed Pinwheel Block
- Sew a blue sashing bar to each side of the pinwheel center as shown above. Press seam allowances towards the blue bars.
- Sew a blue bar/yellow square sashing unit to the top edge of the block. Press seam allowance towards the sashing.
- Sew a blue bar/yellow square sashing unit to the bottom edge of the block. Press seam allowance towards the sashing.
- The larger block should measure 12-1/2" x 12-1/2". The smaller quilt block should measure 6-1/2" x 6-1/2".