So is Floating Stars the most boring quilt block you've ever seen? It doesn't even look like a star, does it? But hold on, because first impressions are most definitely deceiving. The star quilt you'll create from the Floating Stars quilt block pattern may be one of the easiest projects you'll ever make.
The Floating Stars quilt block pattern was originally written for a scrappy block swap, but can be used for any project you wish to sew. Each set of materials will make nine blocks that finish at 4" square. Cut additional sets to make the total number of blocks requiredd for a quilt.
Light background fabric: One 4-1/2" wide strip cut from selvage to selvage; cut into nine 4-1/2" squares
Dark star tips: Eighteen 2-1/2" squares cut from a scrappy assortment of quilting fabrics
Star Block Options
Vary the size of the blocks to suit your needs. For instance:
- 3" background squares with 1-3/4" squares for tips, finishes at 2-1/2"
- 3-1/2" background squares with 2" squares for tips, finishes at 3"
- 4" background squares with 2-1/4" squares for tips, finishes at 3-1/2"
- 5-1/2" background squares with 3" squares for tips, finishes at 5"
- 6-1/2" background squares with 3-1/2" squares for tips, finishes at 6"