Sew Nine Patch Block Strip SetsUse a 1/4" seam allowance for all seams.
Strip Set A
- Right sides together and edges aligned, sew a medium blue 2-1/2" x 15-1/2" strip lengthwise to a light green strip of the same length. Press seam allowance towards the blue strip.
- Sew a second medium blue strip of the same length to the opposite side of the green strip. Press seam allowance towards the blue strip.
- Square up one end of the strip set and cut six 2-1/2" segments from the squared up end. Set units aside.
Strip Set B
- Sew a light green 2-1/2" x 8" strip lengthwise to each side of a 2-1/2" x 8" medium blue strip. Press seam allowance towards the blue strips.
- Square up one end of the strip set and cut three 2-1/2" units from the squared up end.
Assemble the Nine Patch Blocks
- Arrange two units from Strip Set A and one unit from Strip Set B as shown in the diagram above--with the Set B unit in the middle position.
- Sew the rows together. Seams pressed in opposite directions should butt nicely for a good match. Press new seams away from center row.
- Repeat to make three nine-patch blocks.