Evening Star is an easy quilt block pattern. This version of the popular patchwork design has a nine patch unit at its center instead of a single large square of fabric. Evening Star is perfect for quilters of every skill level, and even beginning quilters can sew the block with ease.
The quilt block in the photo has dark star tips, and an "X" shape is created in the nine patch center by sewing medium dark fabrics next to light fabrics. Turn to Page 6 to see how altering color value changes the look of this quilt block.
Evening Star Finished Size: 12" square
Quilt Block Materials and Cutting Chart
The pattern shows how to assemble three blocks at a time to help quilters draw from a stash of leftover fabrics. For lots of identical blocks, cut additional fabrics and substitute fabric colors as as desired
Squares for Quilt Block Corners
- One: 3-1/2" x 44" light green strip cut into twelve 3-1/2" squares
Strip Pieced Nine Patch Centers
- Two: 2-1/2" x 15-1/2" medium blue strips
- One: 2-1/2" x 15-1/2" light green strip
- Two: 2-1/2" x 8" light green strips
- One: 2-1/2" x 8" medium blue strip
Half Square Triangle Units for Star Tips
Read the options on Page 3 before cutting fabric.
- Twelve: 3-7/8" very dark blue squares
- Twelve: 3-7/8" very light blue squares