I've made many quilting projects with this cat quilt block pattern over the last 20 years or so, and given them all away as gifts. This easy cat quilt block pattern lets you dress the kitty up or down to suit your needs. A few ideas:
- Sew the cats in small-print cat fabrics or cat-print tone-on-tones.
- Add an applique collar around the cat's neck.
- Dress the cat up for a Christmas quilt by putting a bow or bells around its neck (see the last page of the pattern for a 24" x 24" Christmas Cat wallhanging).
- Make a realistic cat quilt block by using fabrics that resemble fur.
- Embroider or applique eyes and whiskers on your cat.
Stitch multiple cat blocks to assemble an entire quilt, making all of your cats identical or giving each a unique personality. Your backgrounds can be scrappy, too, or all the same to tie the blocks together.
Finished Cat Quilt Block: 12-inches Square
Cutting Chart for One Cat Quilt BlockWe'll use the same quick piecing method that we use for Snowball quilt blocks to make the cat's ears and tails. Other sections of the cat are easy-to-cut pieces with straight sides.
Fabric for Cat Body
- One 4-1/2" x 8-1/2" rectangle
- One 3" x 4-1/2" bar
- Two 2" x 2" squares
Fabric for Background
- Two 2-1/2" x 8-1/2" bars for frame**
- Two 2-1/2" x 12-1/2" bars for frame**
- One 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" square
- One 2" x 4-1/2" bar
- One 2" x 2" square
**Cut the long bars from a different fabric if you want them to look like more of a frame around the quilt block.
See the last page of the pattern to make a 24" square Christmas kitty.