Assemble the Jar Quilt BlockUse a 1/4" seam allowance to assemble the quilt block, placing units right sides together for sewing and matching raw edges carefully. Use straight pins to hold patches together if it helps you keep them aligned.
- Sew a background side bar to two opposite sides of the bug jar square. Press seam allowances towards the side bars.
- If you are sewing the cap unit piece by piece, stitch a background cap side to each side of the cap along short edges as shown in the middle row above. Pres seams allowances towards the darker fabric. If you strip pieced the unit, it is already assembled.
- Make the top of the block by sewing the bug jar cap unit to the long bottom edge of the top background bar. Press the seam allowance to the top background bar.
- Sew the cap/top background bar unit to the top of the bug jar unit. Press the seam allowance towards the cap unit.
- Sew the bottom background bar to the bottom of the block. Press the seam allowance towards the bottom strip.
Your completed block should measure either 12-1/2" x 12-1/2" or 6-1/2" x 6-1/2". If your block is smaller than it should be, or skewed, press again and recheck. If it still isn't quite right, use my easy squaring-up method before sewing it to other blocks.