Sew the Quilt Block
Make Half Square Triangle UnitsSew a medium light and medium square together using my quick pieced half square triangle instructions. Repeat to combine all medium light and medium squares. After cutting apart as directed you will have six triangle units that each measure 5-1/2".
If you used larger than necessary squares to construct them, trim back to 5-1/2" using a ruler that lets you divide the unit in half diagonally, so that both sides measure the same.
Make the Four Patch Units
- Place the very dark and very light strips right sides together, all edges aligned. Sew together lengthwise with a 1/4" seam allowance.
- Open the strip and press the seam allowance towards the dark fabric.
- Use your rotary cutting equipment to square up one end of the strip, then cut twelve 3" segments from it.
- Place two segments right sides together and with contrasting squares across from each other. Sew together with a 1/4" seam allowance. Press seam allowance either direction.
- Repeat to make a total of six four-patch units.
Assemble the Quilt Block
- Arrange two half square triangle units and two four patch units into two rows as shown above. The dark squares of the four patch units should move diagonally through the block and the darker patches in triangle squares should be at the corners.
- Sew the units in each row together. Press seam allowances towards the four patch units. Sew the rows together to complete a block. Press. Repeat to make two more quilt blocks.