Make the Broken Branch Quilt Block
- Gather the small gold and background squares reserved for half square triangle units that are used along sides of the block. Use the easy sandwich method to sew contrasting squares together, creating 18 units that measure 2" x 2" after assembly. (One half square triagle unit will not be used -- save it for a scrappy project.)
- Gather (4) half square triangle units from Step 1 and one triangle cut by dividing the 2-3/8" background square. Arrange the pieces vertically as shown in the diagram, taking care to orient triangles as illustrated.
- Sew the vertical column together, pressing seams towards the darker fabric.
- Sew the vertical column to the left side of a floral triangle, orienting the two as illustrated. Press the seam allowance towards the large triangle.
- Finish this section of the block by joining it to a background triangle (cut by dividing an 8-3/8" square). Press seam allowance towards the background unit unless it's very sheer.