Make a Navajo Quilt BlockRead quick pieced half square triangle units before you begin. The tutorial includes instructions and diagrams that show you how to make larger-then-necessary units, and then cut them back to exact sizes after assembly.
Cutting for One Navajo Quilt BlockMottled purple for large center square: (1) 8" x 8" square
Deep green for small triangle units that surround center square: (10) 2-3/8" x 2-3/8" squares (slightly larger if you wish to trim back units after assembly); (1) 3-3/8" x 3-3/8" square, cut in half twice diagonally to create four triangles (you'll have two extra triangles)
Warm sand for small triangles that surround center square and for large triangles sewn to sides of block: (10) 2-3/8" x 2-3/8" squares (slightly larger to match green squares if trimming back); (1) 3-3/8" x 3-3/8" square, cut in half twice diagonally to create four triangles (you'll have two extra triangles); (2) 6-1/8" x 6-1/8" squares, each cut in half once diagonally
- Combine a small green square with a small sand square to create two half square triangle units (tutorial link above). Trim-back if you've used oversize squares to assemble the units. Each completed half square triangle unit should measure 2" x 2".
- Repeat, making a total of 20 half square triangle units.
- Refer to the illustration, to the narrow rows created from half square triangles and individual quarter square triangles. Sew five half square triangle units into a row that matches the top illustration. Sew a single light quarter square triangle to its left and and a single green quarter square triangle to its right end. Press. Repeat to make another identical row.
- Sew five half square triangle units into a row that matches the second row of the illustration. Press. Create a second identical row.
- Sew the shorter row to opposite sides of the large center square. Press seam allowances towards the large square. Take care to make sure the diagonals of half square triangle units are aligned as shown.
- Sew the two longer rows to remaining sides of the center square. Press seam allowances towards the square.
- Center and sew a large sand corner triangle to two opposite sides of the patchwork unit. Press seam allowances towards the large triangles. Repeat, sewing a large triangle to the remaining sides of the block. Press.
If centering is difficult, try trimming the triangle tips before you align and sew.
- Your block will measure approximately 13-1/4" x 13-1/4".