Join Loose Ends of Quilt Binding
- When you're sewing quilt binding to the last side, end the seam 4" to 6" from the original starting point, less for miniatures. Backstitch.
- Trim excess binding, leaving a tail that's long enough to overlap the first unsewn tail by about 4".
- Unfold and make a 45-degree cut at the end of the beginning tail of quilt binding.
- Lay the unfolded ending tail under the angled beginning tail. Mark a line on the ending tail alongside the angled cut, then add a 1/2" seam allowance past the line and trim.
- Place the angled tails right sides together, offsetting their angled ends by 1/4". Sew the binding ends together with a 1/4" seam allowance.
- Refold the quilt binding, then pin and sew the remainder to the quilt.
Move on to Page 6 to finish sewing the quilt binding to the back of the quilt.