Beginner Quilt PatternsTry one of these easy quilts the next time you're looking for a new project. All of the quilt patterns are suitable for beginners, because they are quilts you'll complete without feeling overwhelmed with lots of intricate steps.
All of my quilt patterns and tutorials include detailed instructions and illustrations to show you how to make a quilt. I wouldn't discourage a new quilter who decides to try any of my quilt patterns, so choose what appeals to you and start sewing.
Beginners will find helpful quilting advice in the article, 10 Things Every Quilter Should Know.
Star quilt patternsare always popular. Stars are perfect for holiday and patriotic quilts, or any other theme you choose. Stars all have some sort of triangular shape, but nearly all can be quick pieced to help you avoid working with stretchy bias edges.
- Joyous Celebration
- Stretched Stars Wallhanging
- Can't Stop Spinnin'
- Evening Stars with Nine Patch Centers
- Pinwheel Blocks
- Scrappy Floating Stars
Anniversary Sampler QuiltI designed the Anniversary Sampler to coincide with my first anniversary at About.com Quilting.
More Easy Quilt Patterns
- Around the Twist
- Carolina Byways
- Catching the View
- Grandma's Choice Wallhanging
- Kate's Oriental Lanterns Quilt
- Which Way Do We Go?
- Easy Rag Quilt
Easy Miniature Quilt PatternsThe patterns aren't for tiny miniature quilts, so they're easy to assemble.
Easy Quilt BlocksMake multiples of these quilt blocks for yourself, or use them for your guild and online block swaps.
- Bright Hopes Block (easy partial seams)
- Buckeye Beauty
- Comforts of Home
- Double Four Patch
- Friendship Block
- Foundation Pieced Log Cabin
- I Spy a Snowball Block
- Jacob's Ladder
- Maple Leaf Block
- Mock Log Cabin
- Not Quite Bow Ties
- Not So Much of a Trick
- Pieced Tulips
- Scrappy Baskets Quilt Block
- Turning Nines into a Seven
Quick Quilting Projects
- Easy Throw Pillow Pattern - make this pillow cover in just a few hours.
- Easy Pillowcase Pattern - make pillowcases with French seams that cover raw edges of seam allowances.
- How to Make an Easy Fabric Postcard, ideas and techniques for fabric postcards.
- Festive Christmas Table Runner - change the fabrics to suit any theme.
- String Pieced, Ragged Edge Dog Bandana
Learn Quilting Techniques
- How to Make a Denim Quilt, tips and techniques to help you make a blue jean quilt from recycled fabric or quilt from new denim.
- Foundation Piecing, sometimes called paper piecing.
- Learn How to String Piece
- Two Ways to Make Prairie Points to finish the edges of your quilt.
- How to Make Yo Yos to use as applique flowers or for an entire quilt.