Assemble the Broken Dishes Baby Quilt
- Arrange the broken dishes quilt blocks into six rows, each with five blocks. Traditionally, all blocks "point" in the same direction as illustrated, but there are no rules about your layout, so try other arrangements if you like.
- Consider using a design wall to preview blocks for a scrap quilt (they'll stick to a piece of flannel secured to a wall). Move the blocks around until you're happy with the quilt (sometimes it helps to leave the room for awhile, and then re-enter to view it from a fresh perspective).
- Sew the blocks in each row together, matching seam intersections. Press new seam allowances in adjoining rows in opposite directions.
- Join the rows, carefully matching seam intersections. Press.
- Add the border using 3-1/2" wide strips of fabric. Apply the side borders first. Beginners - don't be tempted to measure your quilt along its outer edges, because it is likely skewed a bit. Borders are an opportunity to square up the quilt before the finishing steps. (Border Instructions)
- Mark for quilting if necessary. Sandwich with batting and backing and quilt. Bind the quilt with doublefold binding. (Quilt Binding Instructions)