Assemble the Rows and Finish the Baby Quilt
Cut the Sashing:
- Cut (2) 6-1/2" wide strips of sashing fabric from selvage to selvage; cut (2) more selvage width strips that are 2" wide.
- Square up one end of each 6-1/2" strip and then cut a total of (49) 2" wide bars (should be able to cut (42) 2" x 6-1/2" bars).
- Cut the remaining (7) 2" x 6-1/2" bars by cutting 6-1/2" segments from the narrower strips.
Cut the Cornerstones:
- Cut (1) 2" wide strip of brown cornerstone fabric from selvage to selvage; cut another strip that measure 2" x 20".
- Square up one end of each strip and then cut (3) 2" x 2" squares from the strips.
Assemble the Rows
Referring back to page 1, use a design wall or flat surface to arrange your quilt blocks into five rows, each with four blocks. Place vertical sashing between the individual blocks in rows and place horizontal sashing and cornerstones between the rows. Shuffle quilt blocks around until you are happy with the layout.
Sometimes it's good to leave the room for awhile, and inspect the layout again when you return. Rearrange the blocks again if necessary before you begin to sew.
- Sew six horizontal sashing rows as shown, each with five cornerstones and four sashing bars. Match edges carefully before sewing. Press seam allowances towards the sashing.
- Sew vertical sashing bars between blocks in each row, and at the beginning and end of each row, matching edges exactly. Press seam allowances towards the sashing.
- Carefully join the rows, placing a horizontal sashing/cornerstone strip between them. Sew a sashing/cornerstone strip to the top of the quilt and another to the bottom. Press the quilt.
- Use 3-1/2" wide strips of contrasting fabric to make the borders (sides first). Beginners - don't be tempted to measure your quilt along its outer edges, because it is likely skewed a bit. Borders are an opportunity to square up the quilt before the finishing steps. (Border Instructions)
- Mark the top for quilting if necessary. Sandwich with batting and backing and quilt. Finish by applying the binding.