About this Quilt BlockEccentric Star is a traditional patchwork quilt block that's easy to assemble. It's constructed with just two different components: half square triangle units and a square for the block's center.
The design is the ninth quilt block used in the Backwards Medallion Sampler quilt. Blocks for that quilt finish at 6" square, but I've also included cutting for a 12" quilt block.
Alter the fabrics to suit your quilt.
Try Eccentric Star in a scrap quilt, paying more attention to contrast (color value) than to color itself when you choose fabrics. One thing -- placing many Eccentric Star blocks side by side can create a secondary pattern that resembles a swastika. It's more of an issue when the 'backgrounds,' shown as light in my block, are all the same. Create a different look by sewing sashing between many like-blocks or combine Eccentric Star with an alternate quilt block.
Cutting for One 6" Eccentric Star BlockPatch sizes ending in 7/8" are used to make half square triangle units. You may wish to cut these a bit oversize, and then square up the completed units to the exact unfinished size after assembly.
- (2) dark 2-7/8" x 2-7/8" squares
- (2) medium 2-7/8" x 2-7/8" squares
- (4) light 2-7/8" x 2-7/8" squares
- (1) 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" square for the block's center
Cutting for One 12" Eccentric Star Block
- (2) dark 4-7/8" x 4-7/8" squares
- (2) medium 4-7/8" x 4-7/8" squares
- (4) light 4-7/8" x 4-7/8" squares
- (1) 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" square for the block's center