1. Home

Janet Wickell

Log Cabin Christmas Tree Quilt Pattern

By October 16, 2008

log cabin christmas tree quilt patternThis little Log Cabin Tree quilt measures about 22-1/2" square if you make it as-is, but, it's a snap to increase the size by enlarging the block. The quilt is foundation pieced, and its straight patches are easy to position and sew. A narrow border surrounds the tree to give it the illusion of floating.

Decorate this tree for the holidays by sewing on lots of buttons or charms to serve as ornaments. Make tiny Christmas stockings and tack them on (you can probably find a fabric with stocking images to help make that a breeze). Scattering little bows across the tree is another way to dress it up.

Janet Wickell

Comments

October 16, 2008 at 4:42 pm
(1) Virginia says:

I love this paper pieced pineapple quilt, but boy in reading the directions it seems so hard. I would be interested in anyone who has done this and has tips and know-hows for me. Thankis

October 16, 2008 at 8:40 pm
(2) Janet Wickell says:

Foundation piecing is harder to describe than it is to actually do. Start by trying a log cabin block, and once you understand how it works you can easily make any block. The best thing to do is to make a template and grab some scraps and do a test block. If you make mistakes, don’t worry about it, just keep moving on the foundation. It doesn’t take long at all to get the idea.

October 18, 2008 at 9:32 am
(3) Emily247 says:

I love it! I am going to add the Christmas tree pattern to my favorites. =)
Janet does it again with wonderful new ideas

October 18, 2008 at 12:36 pm
(4) Janet W says:

Thanks Emily, I have another real Christmasy pattern to get finished today and tomorrow. It can look very “holiday,” or it can be altered by changing fabric themes.

October 23, 2008 at 6:48 pm
(5) Harriet says:

we are doing crossed canoes foundation quilt and when we sew the blocks together how do you deal with all the seams (9) laying flat?

October 24, 2008 at 7:05 am
(6) Helen says:

Janet, correct me if I’m wrong, but the Crossed Canoes block sounds like one of those situations when you should iron the seams OPEN – or else “rotate” how you iron them so there aren’t too many layers in one place. Maybe someone with more experience can explain this better than I have :-)